Coastal Carolina (12-4, 6-3) at South Alabama (9-8, 3-5)
- Time: 4PM PST | 6PM CST | 7PM EST
- Location: Mitchell Center, Mobile, AL
- TV: ESPN+
This is the second back-to-back between the Chanticleers and Jaguars this season. The two teams played at Coastal in early January where the Chanticleers took wins of 78-65 and 83-69. Coastal Carolina is 6-3 and has a half-game lead on Appalachian State in the Sun Belt East and South Alabama is two back in the loss column at 3-5.
It’s the Jaguars’ first game in 13 days as least week’s back-to-back with Georgia State was postponed due to COVID protocols within the Panthers’ team.
Coastal Carolina has an 8-4 advantage in the series, but the Jaguars have a 3-2 lead in the Mitchell Center.
Vs. The Spread
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Coastal’s last 5 games
- The Chanticleers are 4-1 in their last 5 vs. South Alabama
- The UNDER has been the play in 5 of the Chants’ last 6 road outings
- The Jaguars are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games
- The OVER has gotten the nod in 5 of South Alabama’s last 7 vs. CCU
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of South Alabama’s last 5 at home
Last Time Out
DeVante’ Jones scored 17 points and had five steals as the Coastal Carolina completed a back-to-back sweep of Troy, 70-65, last Saturday. The Chants trailed 36-25 at halftime before turning up the jets for a 45-point second half to secure their fourth home win.
Tyreke Locure had 19 points as South Alabama defeated Georgia Southern, 62-48, to split the back-to-back. The Jaguars out rebounded the Eagles, 45-38, as Kyle Goncalves and Michael Flowers had 11 and 10 rebounds each.
|Teams||Spread||Money Line||Total Points|
|Coastal Carolina||+1 (-115)||-105||O 147.5 (-110)|
|South Alabama||-1 (-105)||-115||U 147.5 (-110)|
Chanticleers Stat Pack
- Coastal is averaging 20 points per game off turnovers in it’s last three games
- DeVante’ Jones has led CCU in scoring 10 times and in steals 8 times this season
- Here is a picture of why the Chanticleers are atop the Sun Belt standings as they are first in the league in seven different categories:
- Scoring margin (+16.6)
- Field goal percentage (.490)
- Three-point percentage (.406)
- Rebounding offense (42.3)
- Assists (17.1)
- Offensive rebounds (13.6)
- Offensive rebounds percentage (.392)
- Three-point field goals made (9.4)
Chanticleers Grease Board
This should be an offensive experience – no pun intended – as the Chanticleers lead the Sun Belt in scoring at 83.9 points per contest while the Jaguars check in at 77.1 points per night, third in the SBC. The idea of a scoring battle between CCU’s DeVante’ Jones and South Alabama’s Michael Flowers make this one of the most watched games for this evening as Flowers leads the league in scoring. Coastal Carolina is 14th in the NCAA in three-point percentage as they average 40.6 percent from behind the arc over 16 games. Jones makes 42.7 percent of his triples and then Deanthony Tipler nets 40-of-91 for 44 percent. The Jaguars have allowed 600 attempted three-pointers out of 1,017 opponents’ shot attempts – an eye-popping number to say the least.
Jaguars Stat Pack
- Michael Flowers leads three South Alabama Jaguars in double figures at 22.1 points per game while Tyreke Locure nets 13.9 points and David Walker averages 10.8 points per outing.
- Jamal West is a player to watch off of coach Ritchie Riley’s bench as he leads the Jaguars in rebounding at 6.2 boards per game.
- The Chanticleers are the only team to sweep the Jaguars in the Sun Belt back-to-back this season.
Jaguars Grease Board
Coastal has a much better overall defense, but Flowers has the ability to go on a scoring binge on any team at any time. South Alabama shoots the three at 39.6 percent, which is second in the SBC to CCU’s 40.6. Defending guard Coastal Carolina Ebrima Dibba (5.3 apg. In 31.7 mpg) is a huge task as Tyreke Locure could draw most of the coverage on Dibba. Coastal’s big man Essam Mostafa shoots 55.6 percent from the field and is very effective based on the solidity of such a three-point fortress. Kayo Goncalves looks poised for his third matchup of the season on Mostafa.
Winner: Coastal Carolina (+1) 78, South Alabama 74
Over-Under: Take OVER 147.5