The NFL is back in full swing and will kick off Week 2 with another solid divisional game. The New York Giants and the Washington Football Team will meet on Thursday Night Football on September 16. These two teams did not have great starts to Week 1 and will look to bounce back in this one. This game will kick off at around 8:20 PM Eastern time.
New York is coming off a Week 1 matchup against the Denver Broncos. Teddy Bridgewater had a great start to the season, tossing two touchdown passes. Melvin Gordon also had a rushing touchdown in the win. Daniel Jones had a passing touchdown and a garbage-time rushing touchdown. It was not nearly enough though as the Broncos earned a 27-13 win.
The Football Team met up with the Los Angeles Chargers in their Week 1 matchup. Austin Ekeler had a rushing touchdown to open up the scoring, but neither team had another touchdown in the first half. Taylor Heinicke tossed a passing touchdown to open up the third as Washington took a 16-13 lead. Justin Herbert had a passing touchdown in the fourth to help lead the Chargers to a 20-16 win.
Both teams had their share of struggles in Week 1 and are sitting at 0-1. Washington was much more competitive in their opening game and will look to keep it going at home in this one. The Giants on the other hand were dominated by a questionable Broncos team. New York will look for a quick turnaround in this one.
Giants vs. Football Team Live Odds and Betting History
The following odds are courtesy of BetOnline:
|New York Giants||+3 ½ (-120)||+152||Over 41 (-110)|
|Washington Football Team||-3 ½ (+100)||-172||Under 41 (-110)|
|Betting Data||New York Giants||Washington Football Team|
|2021 ATS Home||0-1||0-1|
|2021 ATS Away||0-0||0-0|
|2021 O/U Home||0-1||0-1|
|2021 O/U Away||0-0||0-0|
Giants vs Football Team NFL Game Preview
The Giants and the Football Team met up twice throughout last season. New York was able to win both of those games as well. The Giants won the first game 20-19 and the second matchup on the road 23-20. Washington picked their game up later in the season and ended up making the postseason. New York will look to keep up their dominance against the Football Team in this one.
New York leads the all-time series against the Football Team 104-68-4. The Giants have won five games in a row against Washington and 15-7 going back to the 2010 season. Neither of these two teams have been great as of late, but will look for their first win on this season.
The Giants will once again enter this matchup with Daniel Jones under center. Jones was not great to open up this season and will need to bounce back if he wants to prove to the Quarterback of the future. Washington will likely go with Taylor Heinicke after Ryan Fitzpatrick got put on IR for at least half the season.
Washington Football Team QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (ribs) it out against the New York Giants and Taylor Heinicke will start in his place. https://t.co/jkmDWlgHaM
— TheGiantsWire (@TheGiantsWire) September 14, 2021
Opening Odds and Line Movement
The line for this game opened up at -5 for the Football Team. Since then, the line has dropped down as low as -3 in some places, and is now sitting at -3 ½ only two days before kickoff.
The Over/ Under for this game started out at 43 points. It has since dropped to 41 points and seems to be steady there. This makes sense with the Football Team entering this one with a strong defense and neither offense impressing in Week 1.
The line shifting lower makes sense after Ryan Fitzpatrick went down with injury. The Giants have been strong against Washington in the past few seasons and will look for another win to start out this season set. I expect the crowd to be excited in this rivalry though as the Football Team look to get back to .500.
Head to Head Betting Trends
- New York is 7-3 SU in last ten games against Football Team
- New York is 6-4 ATS in last ten games
- Under is 6-3-1 in last ten games
- Over/ Under is 2-2-1 in last five games in Washington
New York Giants Betting Trends
- 2-14 SU in last 16 games as underdog of 3.5-9.5 points
- 8-8 ATS in last 16 games as underdog of 3.5-9.5 points
- 5-21 SU as underdogs last three seasons
- 13-13 ATS as underdogs last three seasons
- 5-11 SU in last 16 road games
- 11-5 ATS in last 16 road games
- 0-2 SU in last two Thursday games
- 1-1 ATS in last two Thursday games
- 6-6 SU against division last two seasons
- 8-4 ATS against division in last two seasons
- 2-6 SU in last eight September games
- 3-5 ATS in last eight September games
Washington Football Team Betting Trends
- 2-0 SU in last 16 games as favorite of 3.5-9.5 points
- 0-2 ATS in last 16 games as favorite of 3.5-9.5 points
- 3-3 SU as favorites last three seasons
- 1-5 ATS as favorites last three seasons
- 4-14 SU in last 18 home games
- 7-10-1 ATS in last 18 home games
- 1-1 SU in last two Thursday games
- 2- ATS in last two Thursday games
- 4-8 SU against division last two seasons
- 5-7 ATS against division in last two seasons
- 1-7 SU in last eight September games
- 2-6 ATS in last eight September games
Free Bet and Game Prediction: Washington Football Team -3 ½ (+100)
The Giants and Football Team are coming off disappointing Week 1 losses and will look to bounce back on Thursday night. New York has dominated Washington in the last few seasons, but I think that the Football Team can open up this season series with a win. The Football Team have a better offense and if Taylor Heinicke can be solid, I think Washington can earn a big win.
Daniel Jones is coming off a week in which he went 22-37 for 267 yards and a touchdown. Jones also rushed for 27 yards and a touchdown. Taylor Heinicke went 10-15 for 122 yards and a touchdown after stepping in for Washington in Week 1. These two Quarterbacks will look for another solid performance in this one to earn a big Week 2 win.
These two teams have very even offenses on paper to me, but what makes the difference is the defense. Washington’s defense proved to be a force last season and held a strong Chargers offense to only 20 points in Week 1. If the Football Team can shut down the Giants offense as well in this one, I think they can earn a big win on Thursday Night.
Giants vs. Football Team Betting Recap:
- Oddmaker: BetOnline
- Money Lines: New York Giants (+152) vs. Washington Football Team (-172)
- Spread: Football Team -3 ½ (+100)
- Over/Under: 41 Points
- Prediction: New York 17 – Washington 21