I would like to start off by saying: Wow, what a Masters! I would also like to apologize to those who took any of my picks last week, because I did not select the champion, Bubba Watson. Saying that, golf’s first major is now past us and the golf season is in full-force. I am getting starting to get a much better feel for how certain players are performing this season, and I strongly believe the players I select each week will continue to be in contention on Sunday.
This week the PGA Tour travels to Hilton Head, South Carolina for the RBC Heritage. The tournament is held at beautiful Harbour Town Golf Links. The winner of the RBC Heritage (like last week) also receives a jacket, however this one is red and plaid. Harbour Town is always recognized as one of America’s top courses and despite being so close to the Masters there is always a strong field because the pros enjoy playing here. I always enjoy watching this tournament because Harbour Town is such a unique golf course. Harbour Town is one of the shortest golf courses the pros play all year measuring at about 7,000 yards. Tight fairways and sneaky greens require precision and accuracy, that’s why it is so enjoyable to watch because the shorter players can compete, and may even have the advantage. The winner this week will undoubtedly be among the top in “Fairways Hit %”.
Below I will list 3 players who I believe have the best shot at winning this week.
1) Luke Donald (6/1) – Yes Luke is still the #1 ranked player in the world if anyone is wondering, and his game suits this course perfectly. Luke is the most consistent player on tour and there truly is no weak facet to his game. However, people still criticize Luke for being to laid back, and not having the “tiger like” mentality to compete in the majors. I look for Luke bounce back after a very sub-par masters performance and show people why he is #1 in the world. Lastly, it doesn’t hurt that Luke was in playoff here last year.
2) Jim Furyk (16/1) – After an underachieving 2011 season, Jim’s appeared to be going in the wrong direction. However, Jim continues to say he feels very good about his game and says he is working harder on it then he ever has. Jim had a t11th three weeks ago at Bay Hill, and last week at Augusta quietly had another 11th place finish. Jim’s strengths are his precision and accuracy and he showed that when he won the Heritage in 2009. Don’t worry about the unconventional swing this week, Jim will be in the mix on the weekend!
3) Matt Kuchar (15/1) – “Kooch” and Bubba were the only two players who were under par all four rounds last week at Augusta, pretty impressive stuff. “Kooch” also has four consecutive top 10’s and other then Luke, I don’t know if you will find a more consistent player on tour. If “Kooch” can sink a few more putts he will have a great chance to win the Heritage on Sunday.
Below are 3 picks that still have a great chance of winning the golf tournament, but their odds are a little friendlier.
1) Bo Van Pelt (20/1) – Bo is carrying some serious momentum into this week because of a tournament low (64) he shot on Sunday at Augusta. Bo already has 4 top 10’s this year, and the family man is starting to become a household name.
2) Jason Dufner (35/1) – Jason is off to a solid start to the 2012 season. He and Freddy Couples shared the lead last week at Augusta going into the weekend, but both struggled on Saturday and Sunday. That being said the signs point to Jason becoming a top 25 player on the tour for years to come. Jason’s a sure fire pick for good odds this week.
3) Fredrik Jacobson (60/1) – Fredrick is one of the hottest putters on tour these days, harbor town rewards players that have precise short game abilities and the talent to roll the rock. Jacobson has steadily climbed the world ranks with his first PGA tour win coming last year, Freddie as he is affectionately known by could quietly climb up the board this week and be a serious contender come Sunday.
Whether you bet on one of the 6 above, throw some money on a few of the golfers listed, or go with your own picks – good luck with your RBC Heritage picks and enjoy the tournament!