Astros (35-26, 15-13) at Red Sox (37-25, 17-15 home)
- Time: 4:10PM PST – 6:10PM CST – 7:10PM EST
- Place: Fenway Park, Boston MA
- TV: AT&T SportsNet SW | NESN | MLB Extra Innings
The Houston Astros have won three in a row and eight out of their last ten as they took an 8-3 win over Boston last night and are looking for a three-game sweep of the Red Sox
Boston has lost two in a row after the Red Sox had put together five wins in a row and were putting pressure on Tampa Bay for the AL East lead.
The Rays continue to lead the Red Sox by 1.5 games in the AL East and Boston leads the Yankees by four games as New York is 5.5 games off the Rays pace. Houston is still one back of Oakland in the AL West.
The Astros are now 5-1 in their last six games vs. Boston.
The Astros leave Boston and head to Minnesota for a three-game series this weekend while the Red Sox welcome the Toronto Blue Jays for four games.
Last Time Out
Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman homered and Jake Odorizzi pitched five innings, striking out six, as the Astros defeated Boston for the second night in a row, 8-3. Cristian Javier finished the final four innings for his first save for the Astros.
Houston scored five times in the top of the third inning. Yordan Alvarez and Yuri Gurriel each had an RBI-double while Michael Brantley had an RBI-single after Altive’s 2-run homer.
The Astros touched up Boston’s Nathan Eovaldi as he gave up five runs on 11 hits in 5.1 innings. Xander Bogaerts hit his 11th home run in the bottom of the fourth for Boston.
Team Stats Sketch
This is a matchup of two of the top hitting teams in the game as Houston leads MLB with a .271 batting average and the Astros are 14th in the majors with 72 home runs. Houston also sits atop MLB with 309 RBI.
Boston counters the Houston offense with a pitching staff that has a 3.94 ERA (13th/MLB) and the Red Sox bullpen as notched 20 saves in 29 opportunities.
Boston is fifth in the majors in batting averages at .255 and the Red Sox have tallied 75 home runs (5th/NBA) to date. The Red Sox score at a high clip as well with 281 RBI.
The Astros staff has a solid 3.73 ERA (11th/MLB) and although the starters give the bullpen good opportunities to close games, Houston has only 13 saves in 23 chances.
Vs. The Spread
Houston Astros (31-30, ATS):
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of the last 8 Astros games
- The UNDER has been the call in 4 of the Astros last 5 games vs. Boston
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Houston’s last 8 vs. an NL opponent
Boston Red Sox (35-27, ATS):
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Boston’s last 12 games
- The UNDER has also been the call in 11 of the last 13 Red Sox-Astros matchups
- Boston is 4-2 SU in it’s last 6 games vs. an AL opponent
On the Mound
Zack Grienke (6-2, 3.38 ERA) takes the mound for the last game of the series as he is 4-1 over his last five decisions. He had a complete game in his last game as he gave up one run on six hits while striking out four in a 13-1 win over the Blue Jays. Grienke has given up 10 home runs balls, but he has 60 strikeouts against only 16 walks.
The Red Sox counter with Eduardo Rodriguez (5-4, 5.59 ERA) who has struggled over the last month in going 0-4 in his last five decisions. Rodriguez didn’t get run support at all in those four losses, but over that span, his ERA ballooned from 3.82 to 5.64. He had a no decision against the Yankees last Saturday, but still only lasted 5.1 innings, but struck out seven.
|Teams||Spread||Money Line||Total Points|
|Astros||+1.5 (-210)||+101||O 9 (-115)|
|Red Sox||-1.5 (+175)||-111||U 9 (-105)|
- Jose Altuve homered last night as he has been in a mini-slump over two games in going 1×9 with that homer. Altuve is 6×19 on this road trip as he also had a lead off home run at Toronto on Saturday.
- Alex Bregman went 3×4 with a homer yesterday as well as he has improved to 6×17 on this road trip. Bregman, who had a 20-game on-base streak earlier in the year, is tied for ninth with 19 multi-hit games.
Red Sox Chat
- Boston’s bullpen has been solid in June as it came into last night’s game with a 1.69 ERA, They have also given up seven runs in 24.2 innings pitched and the pen also ranks fourth in MLB with a 3.52 ERA after they ended at 5.79 ERA last season.