Angels (16-19, 8-10 road) at Astros (19-17, 10-9 home)
- Time: 5:10PM PST – 7:10PM CST – 8:10PM EST
- Place: Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX
- TV: Bally Sports California | AT&T SportsNet SW | MLB Extra Innings
It’s the rubber game of the three-game set after the Angels had a come-from-behind win on Monday night and Houston came back with a 5-1 win on Tuesday night.
The Angels have started to play better baseball again as they are 3-2 over their last five which follows a five-game skid that ended with winning the Freeway Series over the Dodgers over the weekend.
Houston has followed a similar path as the Astros have gone 4-2 over their last six games which was preceded by a three-game losing streak.
The two teams have already played eight games as the Astros have a 5-3 lead in the series this season.
Last Time Out
Once again the Angels’ bullpen could not handle a solid outing by Shohei Ohtani as the Angels’ dynamic pitcher/hitter struck out 10 in allowing one run on four hits with a walk in seven innings.
Lance McCullers, Jr., had a strong start for the Astros as well as he gave up only three hits in eight innings while striking out nine. He picked up the win and Ohtani took the no-decision as Michael Brantley had an RBI single and Yuli Gurriel hit a three-run homer in the eighth as the Astros defeated the Angels, 5-1.
Taylor Ward went 2-for-3 for the Angels as he homered in the second inning.
Vs. The Spread
Los Angeles Angels (15-20, ATS):
- The Angels 2-5 SU in their last 7 games against the Astros
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of the last 7 Angels’ road games
- The OVER has been the play in 11 of the last 14 Angels-Astros games in Houston
Houston Astros (18-18, ATS):
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Houston’s last 9 games
- The OVER has also been the play in 15 of the Astros’ last 20 games vs. the Angels
- Houston is 9-4 SU in their last 13 games at home
Angels manager Joe Maddon sends Andrew Heaney (1-2, 4.11 ERA) against Jose Urquidy (3-2, 3.51 ERA) of Houston.
Heaney went 6.2 innings in giving up no runs on four hits as the Angels fell to Tampa Bay, 8-3, last Thursday. Hey has struck out 44 and walked only 10 in 30.2 innings as he has two games with 10 strikeouts each.
Urquidy has won his last three starts after starting 0-2. He went seven innings in each of his last two starts as he defeated Toronto, 10-4, last Friday despite throwing two home run balls. He has only given up four runs in his last 20 innings that spans those three games, but he has allowed four home runs.
|Teams||Spread||Money Line||Total Points|
|Angels||+1.5 (-160)||+135||O 8.5 (-110)|
|Astros||-1.5 (+140)||-150||U 8.5 (-110)|
The Astros cooled off Jared Walsh as he went 0-for-3 last night. Going into Tuesday night, he had come off a game on Monday where he reached base in all five of his at-bats. He went 4-for-4 with a home run and a double in Monday’s win…. Mike Trout continues to move forward with potentially another MVP season as he leads MLB in on base percentage (.484), slugging percentage (.692) and he ranks second with a .376 batting average….
Shohei Ohtani’s great pitching performance that we mentioned before was also supplemented with him hitting second in the lineup plus he appeared in right field after his seven strong innings. He went 1-for-4 with a single.
Yuli Gurriel extended his hitting streak to seven games last night with his 3-run home run, Gurriel went 4-for-4 with a home run and a pair of RBI in the win over Toronto last Friday. That was the fifth four-hit game of his career.
- Aledmys Diaz is giving manager Dusty Baker the pop off the bench so far this season as he is batting .271. He has added 5.34 runs when being inserted into games and he went 1-for-4 last night.
- Yordan Alvarez is batting .345 with six home runs as he is 16-for-45 in his last 10 games as he has four home runs and eight of his 21 RBI in these last 10 outings.
- Ryan Pressly has six of the Astros’ eight saves as he has finished 14 games and has yet to give up a home run. He has struck out 18 and walked three in 16.0 innings.