- Yahoo Sports’ Eric Edholm has Joe Burrow going No. 1 in his 2020 NFL Mock Draft
- Ohio State’s EDGE Chase Young falls next in second overall to the New York Giants
- Injured QB Tua Tagovailoa stays in the top five, going No. 4 to the Miami Dolphins
In the NFL regular season, we have just four more weeks of action, followed by the NFL Playoffs, Super Bowl, college football bowl season and then we get to the Senior Bowl, which then leads to the NFL scouting combine.
Aftewards, we then get to free agency and pro days, which will heavily impact the 2020 NFL Draft. And speaking of the 2020 NFL Draft, that comes after all of the previously-mentioned events, and the countdown is just 20 weeks away — which is actually five months away, so let’s keep the “just” out of this.
With that being said, that still hasn’t stopped pundits from releasing mock draft after mock draft, and Eric Edholm from Yahoo Sports is no different.
Edholm’s round one mock draft was based on how the current picks fall if the season ended today, and he chose the team/player combination based on the franchise’s needs, as well as if they’ll fit and how turnover at that particular position could make space for them.
Betting Odds to Be the First Pick in the 2020 NFL Draft
- Joe Burrow | -300
- Chase Young | +200
- Andrew Thomas | +600
- Justin Herbert | +1500
- Jake Fromm | +1500
- Tua Tagovailoa | +1800
Yahoo Sports 2020 NFL Mock Draft – Where Do the Top Betting Options Fall?
1. LSU QB Joe Burrow (Cincinnati Bengals) | -300
The Cincinnati Bengals would be absolutely insane not to take Joe Burrow with their first pick. Not just because of how talented he is, but he’s also one hell of a marketing tool for the Bengals with him being born in Ohio. Cincinnati’s current quarterback Andy Dalton has been horrendous this season, and it’s obvious that ‘Father Time’ has done his job with Dalton — he’s literally only had one good game this season, and that would be in the only victory of the Bengals’ season. The temptation to take Chase Young is there, I’m sure, but you can’t pass on Burrow. Not only would they get an elite quarterback who is marketable, but they would save $18 million letting Dalton go. You have to take Joe Burrow if you’re the Cincinnati Bengals, which is exactly why you have to take Burrow for the bet to be selected No. 1 in the 2020 NFL Draft.
2. Ohio State EDGE Chase Young (New York Giants) | +200
The New York Giants already have a lethal defensive line with the likes of Dalvin Tomlinson, B.J. Hill and Dexter Lawrence involved, so adding Chase Young to the mix would certainly be a sight to see. And really, Young is the only piece that the Giants need to give them the pass rush that they’ve been looking for. On top of that, they would also add a freak of nature to the defensive side, just like they have right now with Saquon Barkley on the offensive side of the ball. To have one on each side is certainly a hell of a way to help build your football team, so don’t be surprised to see New York go in this direction. Young would certainly be a superstar on their current line and would be compared to the likes of Michael Strahan, even Lawrence Taylor.
4. Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (Miami Dolphins) | +1800
The problem with this predicted pick is that we have no idea what the exact status is on Tua Tagovailoa’s hip, and we’re not sure how it’s going to hold up in the National Football League. Tagovailoa could go here to the Miami Dolphins, sure, and as things stand right now, that’s how I’m seeing it (if he even decides to enter the 2020 NFL Draft), but he could also easily get selected outside of the first round with his circumstances. After he gets his medical exam done for the draft and if everything comes back good, the Dolphins should certainly take Tagovailoa with the pick, they’re in dire need of a quarterback, and they most likely will — it’ll literally be their only chance to grab a franchise quarterback in this year’s draft. On top of that, they also have two other first round draft picks to play around with as well, so they can go ahead and take care of the quarterback position right away. After that, they can fix up their other needs. Still though, you have to be nervous to take Tua Tagovailoa if you’re the Miami Dolphins, even with their huge fee agency plans and their stack of draft picks.
Yahoo Sports 2020 NFL Mock Draft: The Entire First Round
- 1. Cincinnati Bengals – LSU QB Joe Burrow
- 2. New York Giants – Ohio State EDGE Chase Young
- 3. Washington Redskins – Iowa OT Tristan Wirfs
- 4. Miami Dolphins – Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa
- 5. Atlanta Falcons – Auburn DT Derrick Brown
- 6. Detroit Lions – Iowa EDGE A.J. Epenesa
- 7. Arizona Cardinals – Georgia OT Andrew Thomas
- 8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Ohio State CB Jeffrey Okudah
- 9. New York Jets – Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy
- 10. Los Angeles Chargers – Oregon QB Justin Herbert
- 11. Denver Broncos – Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons
- 12. Philadelphia Eagles – Alabama WR Henry Ruggs III
- 13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Alabama OT Jedrick Wills Jr.
- 14. Carolina Panthers – LSU S Grant Delpit
- 15. Cleveland Browns – USC OT Austin Jackson
- 16. Oakland Raiders – Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb
- 17. Indianapolis Colts – Utah State QB Jordan Love
- 18. Oakland Raiders (from Chicago Bears) – Alabama LB Dylan Moses
- 19. Tennessee Titans – Washington QB Jacob Eason
- 20. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Los Angeles Rams) – Clemson WR Tee Higgins
- 21. Dallas Cowboys – South Carolina DT Javon Kinlaw
- 22. Miami Dolphins (from Pittsburgh Steelers) – LSU EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson
- 23. Minnesota Vikings – Alabama CB Trevon Diggs
- 24. Kansas City Chiefs – LSU CB Kristian Fulton
- 25. Miami Dolphins (from Houston Texans) – Georgia RB D’Andre Swift
- 26. Buffalo Bills – Colorado WR Laviska Shenault Jr.
- 27. Green Bay Packers – Alabama OT Alex Leatherwood
- 28. New Orleans Saints – TCU WR Jalen Reagor
- 29. New England Patriots – Washington TE Hunter Bryant
- 30. San Francisco 49ers – Oklahoma C Creed Humphrey
- 31. Baltimore Ravens – Penn State EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos
- 32. Seattle Seahawks – Ohio State CB Shaun Wade