- UFC President Dana White says that the prospect of Nick Diaz returning in 2021 is promising.
- Nick Diaz has not fought since a no-contest against Anderson Silva in January 2015.
- Little brother Nate will end a two year hiatus by fighting Leon Edwards this Saturday night at UFC 263.
2021 could be the year of the return of the Diaz brothers.
Nate Diaz will be fighting for the first time since 2019 when he faces Leon Edwards at UFC 263 this weekend. Big brother Nick could be next to make his long awaited comeback.
Speaking to UFC Arabia, UFC President Dana White says that he expects Nick Dia to fight in 20201. The UFC boss said that at first, he didn’t think it would happen. But now, per White, it looks like Nick Diaz will fight again this year.
Prospect of Nick Diaz Return is Promising
Dana White says Nick Diaz’s return is looking promising👀
— Farah Hannoun (@Farah_Hannoun) June 7, 2021
It was just last month when White said he met with Diaz during UFC 261 in Jacksonville and had a good talk with the Stockton slugger. At that time, White said he was unsure if Diaz was serious in making a comeback. According to White he just didn’t see it in Nick that he really wanted to fight again. But that was last month, and for a guy like Dana White, that was eons ago.
White is now singing a different tune. He now describes the prospect of Nick Diaz fighting this year as “promising”. He even went on to say that UFC matchmakers are in talks with Diaz although he declined to comment further on the issue.
For Diaz to return though, he must first re-enroll with the UFC’s drug testing program and complete the USADA’s six month drug testing program before he can be allowed to compete again.
Test Weight Cut
This is Nick Diaz earlier today. He weighs in the 175-165 pound range, per his manager Kevin Mubenga.
He just completed a 14-week diet and training regimen. This is the first time he cuts weight in approximately four years, Mubenga said. Diaz wanted to do a test cut because … pic.twitter.com/5A8EvyLeUn
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) September 7, 2020
Last year, Diaz completed a 14-week diet and training regimen in order to perform a test weight cut, his first weight cut in four years. Back then, Diaz’s manager Kevin Mubenga said that Diaz was 100% planning to fight again and was targeting early 2021 as his return date. Despite that, no one- White included, believed he was serious.
Diaz has not fought since a no-contest against Anderson Silva in January 2015. Diaz lost that fight via decision but both him and Silva failed drug tests so the result was overturned to an NC. He is winless in his last three bouts and has not picked up a win since defeating B.J. Penn at UFC 137 in 2011.
But despite his current losing streak, Diaz and his brother Nate remain among the most popular fighters in the UFC today and would be a good sell for the UFC. Competitively, if he can get back in shape, Nick isn’t too old for the UFC. Remember that UFC light heavyweight champion Jan Blachowicz is older at 38. So never say never.