- Oscar De La Hoya says he will fight again on July 3rd.
- The Golden Boy has not fought since losing to Manny Pacquiao in 2008.
- De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions partner Bernard Hopkins is the oldest fighter to win a world title at the age of 48.
Oscar De La Hoya says he is returning to boxing on July 3rd.
During Friday’s press conference for the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren boxing event next month, De La Hoya announced that he will be stepping back inside the ring again. Although boxing’s Golden Boy did not say whether he would be returning competitively or will be fighting in exhibition boxing matches, De La Hoya has been away from prize fighting for the past 13 years although he has been very active as a promoter.
Golden Boy Back?
Golden Boy Back?
Oscar De La Hoya just said he’s making a return to boxing, July 3 🚨 pic.twitter.com/Nmr2qaLYFN
— DAZN Boxing (@DAZNBoxing) March 26, 2021
De La Hoya has not fought since 2008 when he was stopped by Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao in a catchweight bout where he had no chance of winning. After his retirement, De La Hoya focused on growing his boxing promotion company Golden Boy Promotions. He succeeded in making Golden Boy the top promotion in the sport despite the company and De La Hoya himself involved in numerous controversies.
He earned the monicker the Golden Boy after fulfilling his dying mother’s wish of becoming an Olympic gold medal. In 1992, De La Hoya captured Olympic gold by defeating German boxer Marco Rudolph in the final of the 60kg weight class. He would turn pro immediately after the Olympic games and went on to capture the imagination of boxing fans worldwide by winning a total of 11 world titles across six different weight classes.
But the Golden Boy has not fought in 13 years and aside from owning Golden Boy Promotions, the only other reason he should be called Golden Boy is because he is nearing his golden years at the age of 48. While he didn’t specify if he is coming back to fight professionally or engage in exhibition matches like Mike Tyson, De La Hoya said last year he wanted to box professionally again.
Inspired by Iron Mike
Former world champion Oscar de la Hoya says he will make his boxing comeback in July… 13 years after retiring! 😳
🗣 “Mike Tyson inspired the hell out of me.”
More ⤵️ #bbcboxing
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) March 26, 2021
During his announcement, De La Hoya said that he was inspired by the 54-year old Tyson’s return to the sport. It can be recalled that Tyson ended a 15 year retirement by returning to the ring in an exhibition boxing match against fellow former world champion Roy Jones Jr. last November 2020.
The oldest fighter to win a world boxing title is De La Hoya’s partner at Golden Boy, Bernard Hopkins. The Executioner defeated Tavoris Cloud to win the IBF light heavyweight title in 2013 at the age of 48, or the same age De La Hoya is saying he is making a comeback.
But Hopkins didn’t spend 13 years on the shelf when he won the belt. He fought sporadically but kept himself in shape. De La Hoya showed training videos last year when he first talked about making a comeback and he said that it wasn’t just for exhibition boxing bouts but he wanted to box competitively again. However, it remains to be seen if that is the case. Regardless of what weight class he would be coming back to, it’s not going to be an easy task for De La Hoya, except perhaps for the money part.