The 2021 Kentucky Derby will take place at the Churchill Downs in Louisville on May 1 and is the kickoff event to determine the Triple Crown winner! Not only will millions of eyes be on this annual event, but there will most certainly be millions of dollars riding on end results. Believe us when we say that there is some serious money to be made at the 2021 Kentucky Derby and the easiest, most convenient way to bet on the event is using a top-rated online racebook!
|100% up to $2,500|
|50% up to $1,000|
|50% up to $1,000|
|50% up to $250|
|100% up to $300|
Our recommendation list for Kentucky Derby betting includes several sites that offer their customers top-of-the-line service, a competitive variety of betting line, excellent bonuses to earn free money prizes, and mobile compatibility for optimum convenience. When it comes to winning real money betting on the Kentucky Derby, there are few that can touch the versatility and capability of our top-notch recommendations!
- Date: Saturday, May 1
- Location: Churchill Downs
- Purse: $1.86 million
- Inaugurated: 1867
- Distance: 1.5 miles (12 furlongs)
- Grade: 1 race
- Surface: Dirt
- Qualification: Three-Year-Olds
- Latest Odds: Compare
- Favorite: Essential Quality
Let us look at what each 2021 Kentucky Derby betting site can offer you at this year’s big race!
Top Kentucky Derby Betting Sites Where You Live
We’ve thoroughly researched and vetted countless online racebooks with Kentucky Derby Odds and below we’ve listed the top recommendations for our users in the US, UK, and Canada.
Our findings indicate these site recommendations offer their users the best possible experience when betting real money on the Kentucky Derby.
Why Are These Sites Best for Kentucky Derby Betting?
These online racebooks hit all the marks on our list! In terms of offering their customers the best of everything, these Kentucky Derby betting sites are hard to match. Key benefits of our five preferred sites include swift and professional customer support, competitive bonuses and betting lines, and an unmatched, trustworthy reputation in the market.
Trustworthy and Reputable
Every real money Kentucky Derby racebook we promote is fully licensed by a legitimate gambling authority in a reputable jurisdiction. Each betting site accepts US players, meaning individuals can wager on their favorite betting lines and races without landing in hot water with the law. It is completely legal to use our favorite Kentucky Derby betting sites as each employs safety software to guard customers’ personal and financial information.
Each of our recommended Kentucky Derby betting sites offer their customers some great options for setting up their accounts and for withdrawing their payouts after the big win! Players have access to credit card and cryptocurrency depositing and payout methods as well as a few others. Each site knows that everyone banks differently and made a point of offering a diverse set of banking options to meet each customer’s need.
Competitive Betting Lines
Having the most current, up-to-date information is crucial when betting on the Kentucky Derby. Bettors and punters of all varieties need to have access to accurate, varied odds and betting lines to have success out on the track. Each site we promote is highly proactive in introducing new information and updating their odds and betting lines daily. Bettors have their choice of the traditional Win, Place, and Show wagers as well as access to the exotic bets like Exacta and Trifecta, among others. There are also plenty of enjoyable prop bets available.
Each 2021 Kentucky Derby racebook we reviewed offers generous welcome bonuses as well as strong weekly offers and promotions. Good welcome packages assist new players in building up their accounts and good promotions help existing players to keep the excitement and momentum going! Each site offers some form of weekly horse rebates where bettors can win back a percentage of their losses from the previous week!
Everyone does everything on their phones nowadays and placing bets on the Kentucky Derby should be no different. Not only can you bet on horse racing online for real money, but you can do it all from the comfort and convenience of your phone! Our favorite, top-rated Kentucky Derby betting sites can be accessed by Android and iPhone and convert seamlessly! Players will experience an attractive interface and user-friendly navigation, all from the phone!
Online Racebook Bonuses for the Kentucky Derby
What do these top-notch Kentucky Derby bonuses look like and what can they offer me? How do the weekly horse rebate work? We have plenty of answers for these questions plus much more detailing the meat and potatoes of each promotion.
Kentucky Derby Bonuses at BetUS
- Valid on the initial deposit
- 125% Sign-Up Bonus up to $3,125
- Minimum deposit: $10
- 100% Sports Bonus up to $2,500
- Rollover Requirement: 10x Sports
- 25% Casino Bonus – up to $625
- Rollover Requirement: 30x Casino
- Max cashout: $5000
- Use promo code JOIN125
Kentucky Derby Bonuses at MyBookie
- Valid on initial deposit only
- Credited in form of free play
- Minimum deposit: $50
- Maximum bonus: $1,000
- Rollover Requirement: 10x
- Use promo code: MYB50
8% Horse Rebate
- Not applicable for wagers made through sportsbook
- No rebate for cancelled or scratch refunded wagers
- No rebates on Win, Place, Show tickets paying $2.20 to $2 and less
- Rebates paid out daily after midnight
- No rollover requirement
- Straight bets on Tracks A-B-C receive 3% payout
- Exotic bets on A Tracks pay 8%, B Tracks pay 5%, and C Tracks pay 3%.
Kentucky Derby Bonuses at BetNow
- Minimum Deposit: $20
- Maximum Bonus: $1,000
- Rollover Requirement: 50x Racebook and 10x Sportsbook
- Use bonus code BN100
10% Horse Rebate
- Rebates are eligible on net losses accrued Monday through Sunday
- Rebates are issued on Mondays by 12:00pm EST
Kentucky Derby Bonuses at Bovada
- Valid on the initial deposit only
- 50% Bonus up to $250
- Rollover Requirement: 30x Casino, 5x Racebook, and 5x Sports
Kentucky Derby Bonuses at BetOnline
- Valid on initial deposit only
- Minimum Deposit: $55
- Maximum Bonus per Deposit: $1,000
- Rollover Requirement: 10x
7% Horse Rebate
- Not eligible for wagers that pay $2.20 or less for $2.00
- Not eligible for Tracks D & E
- Not eligible for matchup, fixed odds, or Propositional bets
- Internet wagers are eligible for 7% daily rebate. Telephone wagers are eligible for 4% daily rebate
- Online and phone wagers for NYRA tracks get 4% rebate
- No earning limit and no minimum volume of wagers
- No rebates on cancelled or scratch-refunded wagers
Betting on the Kentucky Derby Online in 8 Steps
Perhaps you have never bet on the Kentucky Derby before, or it could be that you are a newcomer to Kentucky Derby online racebooks. No matter what your situation is, here is a simple step-by-step process to get you started at one of our top-notch betting sites for real money Kentucky Derby betting!
Follow our recommendations and select a trusted real-money Kentucky Derby betting site. Or do some research and vetting of your own and find a betting site with Kentucky Derby odds that works for you! Just be sure the site has a good reputation.
Create an account by signing up! This should only take a few minutes and may require a bit of personal information to get things started.
Head into the Racebook section of the Kentucky Derby betting site. Find the betting lines, odds, and horse you would like to place some wagers on.
Choose a wager type. There will be options for traditional, exotic, and propositional bets. It all depends on what you are looking for!
Add to wagers onto the bet slip. This will prepare all the information off to the side of the screen before confirming and submitting.
Confirm your wager. Make sure all the information is correct and then submit.
Watch the race. This is the exciting part of the process, seeing if your predictions were right or wrong.
Win some money! Confirm you win at the banking page and you payout should be sent to your account within 24 to 48 hours.
Recent Kentucky Derby Winners and Betting Stats
|Year||Winner||Jockey||Trainer||Odds to Win||Time|
|2020||Authentic||John Velazquez||Bob Baffert||+740||2:00.61|
|2019||Country Horse||Flavien Prat||Bill Mott||+250||2:03.93|
|2018||Justify||Mike E. Smith||Bob Baffert||+450||2:04.20|
|2017||Always Dreaming||John Velazquez||Todd Pletcher||+200||2.03:59|
|2016||Nyquist||Mario Gutierrez||Doug O’Neill||+250||2:01.31|
|2015||American Pharaoh||Victor Espinoza||Bob Baffert||+250||2:03.02|
|2014||California Chrome||Victor Espinoza||Art Sherman||+250||2:03.66|
|2013||Orb||Joel Rosario||Claude McGaughey III||+350||2:02.89|
|2012||I’ll Have Another||Mario Gutierrez||Doug O’Neill||+1400||2:01.83|
|2011||Animal Kingdom||John Velazquez||H. Graham Motion||+2000||2:02.04|
2021 Kentucky Derby Betting Tips and Strategies
There are techniques and strategies that horse racing bettors can use to increase their odds of winning and to accurately predict which horses will compete better than others at the big race! Here are some helpful hints and suggestions to those looking to make some real money betting on the 2021 Kentucky Derby.
Do Some Research
Looking at a program or conducting some online research is always a great way to start. Look at each horse, how they have performed over the season, and what experts and pundits are saying. This can be an effective way to get an idea of the top 5 or 10 best contenders to win the Derby, narrowing the field greatly to ensure your bets and wagers are being directed to the correct place.
Stick to Your Budget
Have a set amount of money that you will plan on using for betting the Kentucky Derby and stick to your plan! You do not want to get in over your head nor do you want to lose more money than you were comfortable with losing. It is vital for your financial wellbeing and viability to set limits for yourself and committing.
Watch Previous Races
Looking at past races can give you some great context as to where each horse is on a performance level. A horse with an average record that has built momentum over the season with increasingly strong performances could very well outdo a horse with a better record whose racing execution is plateauing or on the downswing. Watch past races to capture these nuances and subtleties.
Do not Focus the Favorite Alone
Upsets exist. Favorites have lost in the past, going against the beliefs, the gut feelings, and the advice issues by the experts. Do not focus on solely betting the favorite because there is a good chance that another deserving horse will take home the win. Spread out your bets over several horses that all have a good shot at being number one. It is crucial not to have all your eggs in one basket.
Keep an Eye on the Jockeys
To an extent, the horse is only doing part of the work. Remember that there is a talent behind the reigns! Before discounting any horse from your consideration, find out who will be the jockey. A good jockey is a factor never to be ruled out as a horse’s performance can be greatly improved with the right individual riding. Do some research on well-known jockeys and their past records or achievements to get a good idea of who has the talent and ability to push a horse to its greatest heights.
Play Around with the Odds
We highly encourage you to join more than one online racebook. In fact, the perfect solution would be to become a member of each of our five top-rated recommendations! We say this because not all Kentucky Derby betting sites are going to offer the exact same odds. There are differences in the betting lines and data that create a larger picture with a bettor with a keen eye. The disparities between sets of odds can allow bettors to find the best possible edge to exploit. This ensures greater success in correctly predicting the winners and losers.
Comparing Odds at the Top Kentucky Derby Betting Sites
|Horse||BetUS Odds||MyBookie Odds||Bovada Odds|
|Rock Your World||+500||+500||+450|
|Hot Rod Charlie||+850||+1000||+800|
|Soup and Sandwich||+2500||+2500||+2500|
|Like the King||+3000||+2000||+6600|
A major key to know which horses to place wagers on lies in researching odds at various Kentucky Derby racebooks such as MyBookie, Bovada, or BetUS! Here is a good idea of the top contenders to win the big race this year!
Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites at MyBookie
- Essential Quality +300
- Rock Your World +550
- Highly Motivated +700
- Hot Rod Charlie +1000
- Known Agenda +1100
- Super Stock +1100
Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites at Bovada
- Essential Quality +325
- Rock Your World +450
- Known Agenda +700
- Hot Rod Charlie +800
- Highly Motivated +1000
- Medina Spirit +1400
Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites at BetUS
- Essential Quality +250
- Rock Your World +500
- Known Agenda +700
- Hot Rod Charlie +850
- Highly Motivated +900
- Medina Spirit +1500
Types of Kentucky Derby Bets Available Online
Who knew there were so many ways to wager on the Kentucky Derby aside from choosing the straight-up race winner? There are so many ways to bet on the 2021 Kentucky Derby that it will make your head spin!
- Win: Betting on the horse that will come in at first place. This is the most straightforward type of bet.
- Place: Betting on the horse that will finish the race in either first or second place.
- Show: Betting on the horse that will end up in the top three places in the race. You can win your wager so long as your selection finishes the race in any of the top three places.
- Across the Board (Win, Place & Show): If your horse comes in third place, you win just the show bet. If your horse comes in second place, you will win both the place and show bets. If your horse finishes first, you will win on all three bets!
- Exacta Wager: Betting on the correct winner of the first and second place slots, in the correct order.
- Exacta Box: Betting on the top two finishers, but it does not have to be in order. The two horses picked must finish in the top two spots.
- Trifecta Wager: Betting on the correct winner of the first, second, and third place slots.
- Trifecta Box: Betting on the top three finishing horse, but they do not have to finish in any correct order.
- Superfecta: Betting on the correct winner of the first, second, third, and fourth place slots.
- Superfecta Box: Betting on the top four finishing horse, but they do not have to finish in any correct order.
- Daily Double: Two “win” wagers on two back-to-back races. They are typically featured on the first two races and the final two races of a particular day.
Other Bet Types
- Pick 3: Picking the winners of three consecutive races.
- Pick 4: Picking the winners in four consecutive races.
- Pick 5: Picking the winners in five consecutive races.
- Pick 6: Picking the winner in six consecutive races.
Must-Know Horse Betting Terms
There is an abundance of Kentucky Derby jargon and terminology that one needs to be keep track of when navigating horse race betting. Here are some of the major must-know terms that can give you a better understanding of the sport.
- Blinders (Blinkers): these are the cup-shaped objects that are worn around a horse’s eyes to limit their vision and keep them focused on what is ahead of them.
- Colt: a young male horse whose age is anywhere from two to four years old.
- Furlong: one-eighth of a mile.
- Filly: a female horse usually less than four-year-old
- Gelding: a castrated male horse.
- Grade: the category in which horses are placed based on their racing performance.
- Handicap: weights placed on faster horses when they run against slower horses.
- Harness Racing: known as trotting, this is when a horse will race pulling a two-wheeled vehicle or cart.
- OTB: Off track betting.
- Post Position: the numbered stall of the starting gate where horses are positioned for the race.
- Pari-Mutuel: betting where those who are backing the first three positions end up dividing the losers’ stakes.
- Purse: the total amount of money dedicated to being paid out to the top finishers of a particular race.
- Triple Crown: a prize given to single horse for winning in three key races, The Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes.
More Must Know Terms: Horse Breeds
- Thoroughbred: these are horses that a bred specifically for racing. They are naturals out on the track, possessing stamina and great speed.
- Standardbred: these are the horses that excel in harness racing. They are most competitive racing at a trot or pace speed with some sort of cart in tow.
- Arabian: these horses were the original pioneers that defined the true qualities of excellent racing horses.
- Quarter: these horses are the talented short distance sprinters. They are bred for the specific purpose of covering short distances in the fastest time possible.
Kentucky Derby Betting Sites FAQ
Bettors can do the traditional Win, Place, or Show betting or take things up a notch with exotic bets which include Exacta, Trifecta, and the like. There are fun, varied propositional bets that are offered by many online racebooks to keep things interesting as well.