Whether you live in the Big Apple, upstate New York, or anywhere else in the Empire State, we’ve got some great news for you. Real money New York online casinos are operating in full swing to give you the ability to play your favorite table games, slots, casino games, and more without ever stepping foot outside of your house.
The best New York casino apps let you gamble for real money from home, the office, a restaurant, a bar, or even riding the Maid of the Mist under Niagara Falls if you’re feeling adventurous (and crazy). Our experts have put together the best real money New York casino sites for you to gamble at, most of which have gambling apps you can download and enjoy anywhere you go!
The Top New York Casinos Online for 2021
|280% up to $14,000|
|150% up to $3,000|
|250% up to $5,000|
|300% up to $6,000|
Vegas Casino Online
|100% up to $11,000|
Key Facts About Real Money Gambling in NY
- There are 32 in-person casinos in the state of New York and hundreds of mobile online casinos options servicing the entire state.
- In 2019, the state pulled in $2.7 billion in gross gaming revenue from brick and mortar casinos.
- Over the past 12 months, the highest level of online gambling interest in the state is from Utica, NY. Syracuse and Rochester came in virtually tied for second place.
- New York residents can gamble in person within the state or in the neighboring states (and countries) of Canada, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
- There are currently no laws on the books signaling that real money online casinos in New York are illegal.
- The New York State Gaming Commission is in the process of conducting a gaming study to look at the growth of real money gaming in the state, which many see as a precursor to industry-wide regulation in the next few years (a positive for everyone involved).
- New York brought in the highest sale of lottery tickets in the United States by more than 30%. (2019)
Where Is Online Gambling Most Popular in New York?
Want to know if you’re unknowingly living in an area where New York online gambling is mega-popular? Well, the chances are that if you live pretty much anywhere in the state of New York, that’s the case.
However, there are some areas that have a much higher interest in New York gambling apps and online gambling. Here are the top 10 areas in the state of New York with the most internet search traffic for online gambling topics over the past 12 months.
- 1. Utica
- 2. Syracuse
- 3. Rochester
- 4. Binghamton
- 5. Elmira
- 6. Buffalo
- 7. New York City
- 8. Albany-Schenectady-Troy
- 9. Burlington VT-Plattsburgh
- 10. Watertown
Interesting Takeaways From the Data
- Utica has the highest interest level in the state. What’s interesting is that Utica is very close to several of the larger casinos in New York, which does signal a shift to higher interest in online vs. in-person play.
- Syracuse has held the most consistent interest in second place from 2004 until the present.
- When you extrapolate the data out over 5 years (instead of 12 months), the top list changes significantly. Here are the top five cities in New York with the most interest in New York gambling sites over the past five years.
- 1. Binghamton
- 2. Syracuse
- 3. Buffalo
- 4. New York City
- 5. Watertown
Is Online Gambling Legal in New York?
One of the most popular questions asked by people interested in real money casino apps for New York residents is whether or not gambling online in the state is legal. The short answer is no, real money New York casino sites are not illegal.
The longer answer is that it’s a bit of a debated topic, and the answer you get from gaming attorneys depends on who you ask.
One side of the argument (the one we’re on) says that if there are no laws stating something is illegal, it’s not illegal.
The other side of the argument is the people who claim that without full legislation and outlines for the industry by the state, it’s not legal. Our counterargument would be that this means the market is unregulated—not illegal. These are two very different things.
Will Online Casinos in NY Be Regulated in the Future?
Recently, the New York Gaming Commission started the process of conducting a study on the state’s gambling industry. Many believe that this study is a precursor to the full rollout and regulation of online casinos and mobile gambling in the state in the near future.
Unfortunately, world events have put the project on pause, and the full results won’t be completed until sometime in 2021 or 2022. For now, though, it’s our understanding that online casino apps in New York are legal to use but aren’t under any state-focused regulation.
Bonuses From the Best New York Online Casinos
Whether you’re looking to play New York online slots on your iPhone, try your hand at some real money blackjack, or play any of the other awesome options available through these gambling apps—you can earn lucrative New York casino bonuses from your mobile device!
Yes, you heard that correctly. When you play casino games online in New York, you can get free money, free swag, free bets, and VIP rewards just for being a loyal patron.
What Are Some of the Bonuses I Can Get From New York Casino Gaming Sites?
- Deposit Match Bonuses – The NY online casinos will match your initial deposit up to a certain percentage and dollar amount. The matched funds are credited directly to your account as bonus dollars you can start betting with immediately.
- Free Play Bonuses – The best NY gambling sites have promotions that give you free play on slots, table games, and video machines. Most popularly, the free play options will be on slots, but sometimes you do see them on other games like a match play blackjack bonus or something similar.
- VIP Rewards – Loyalty at the top New York casino apps should be and is heavily rewarded. When you join an app with a rewards program, you’ll earn points every time you play. These points can be converted into cashback, free play, vacations, and if you’re really a big player—you can get things like cars!
How Do I Cash in on These Bonuses Right Now?
If you’re ready to play online casino games for money in New York right now, the process to take advantage of bonuses is very simple.
- Navigate to the top of this page and select one of the real money New York casinos online we’ve recommended.
- Click the link to head over to the site.
- Create your free account, which you’ll need your name and email address for.
- Once your account is created and you are logged in, navigate to the bonus and promotions page. The link will be across the top bar or the side navigation, depending on if you are accessing the site from a phone, tablet, or computer.
- Find the bonus offer you want to take advantage of, and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Take a minute to read through the terms and conditions before committing to the bonus. All of the New York casinos online that we’ve recommended have awesome bonuses with fair terms, but you still want to understand them for yourself.
- Enjoy your free cash!
What Do I Need to Know About Online Casinos Bonuses for New York Gamblers?
The safest New York online casinos are extremely transparent and upfront about how their promotions work. If you hear about someone having a bad experience, it’s almost always because they didn’t take the time to understand how the promotion works.
Here are the things we think you need to know if you’re looking to cash in on a promotion through one of the New York casino apps and NY gambling sites listed in this guide.
Bonus money is free money. However, there are stipulations. You can’t just take the money as soon as you get it, cash out, and run off to the store to spend it. If New York gambling apps allowed this, people would take advantage of them. To protect themselves (and so they can keep offering you these great deals), they have what’s called the playthrough requirement.
It never affects the money you deposited, just the bonus dollars you’re awarded through a promotion.
- Playthrough requirements differ from site to site.
- The range of the playthrough multiple is generally between 25x and 50x for NY online gambling sites.
- Not all games are eligible to help you clear the playthrough requirements. Additionally, some games may count for more. Playing slots online in New York is usually the fastest and easiest way to clear a playthrough requirement.
You Don’t Have to Take a Bonus
While we’re big advocates of cashing in on the great offers available through the top New York casinos online, we understand that some people don’t like all the playthrough requirements and what may feel like hoops to jump through.
In-Person Casinos in New York
Gambling online for real money in New York isn’t your only option for getting casino action. While real money casino apps in New York may offer you more options and convenience, you may find the desire to get in some old fashioned in-person play from time to time.
In the state of New York, there are 32 in-person casinos. Compared to the hundreds (if not thousands) of New York casino sites, it’s fewer options, but logistically we understand why.
Here are 10 of our favorite in-person casino spots in the state of NY:
|Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort||873 NY-37, Hogansburg, NY 13655||Monday to Thursday: 11am – 10pm
Friday: 11am – 12am
Saturday & Sunday: 10am – 12am
|Batavia Downs Gaming and Hotel||8315 Park Road, Batavia, NY 14020||Monday to Sunday: 8am – 4am|
|Del Lago Casino Resort||1133 NY-414, Waterloo, NY 13165||Sunday to Saturday: 10am – 1am|
|Empire City Casino||810 Yonkers Ave, Yonkers, NY 10704||Sunday to Saturday: 10am – 6am|
|Resorts World Catskills||888 Resorts World Dr, Monticello, NY 12701||Monday & Tuesday: 5:30pm – 1:30am
Wednesday – Sunday: 10am – 1:30am
|Rivers Casino Schenectady||1 Rush St, Schenectady, NY 12305||Monday to Thursday: 10am – 12am
Friday: 10am – 1am
Saturday: 9am – 1am
Sunday: 9am – 12am
|Saratoga Casino Hotel||342 Jefferson St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866||Monday to Sunday: 9am – 5am|
|Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino||777 Seneca Allegany Blvd, Salamanca, NY 14779||24/7|
|Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino||310 4th St, Niagara Falls, NY 14303||24/7|
|Turning Stone Resort & Casino||5218 Patrick Rd, Verona, NY 13478||24/7|
Additional Options Outside the State
Feel like taking a road trip? If you want a break from the best online casinos in New York or the in-person options, you can always head over to a neighboring state (or country) to get even more options.
This becomes a realistic option for people who live on the borders, as the closest option might not be in your state. The states and countries that border New York offering real money casino action are:
|Canada||Playground Casino – 1500 Unit C, QC-138, Kahnawake, QC J0L 1B0, Canada|
|Connecticut||Foxwoods Resort Casino – 350 Trolley Line Blvd, Ledyard, CT 06338|
|Massachusetts||MGM Springfield – 145 State St, Springfield, MA 01103|
|New Jersey||Atlantic City (Multiple Casinos) – Atlantic City, NJ 08401|
|Pennsylvania||Mohegan Sun Pocono – 1280 PA-315, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702|
Land-Based Casinos vs. Real Money Online Casinos in New York
Let’s compare one of the top NY gambling sites with one of the more popular brick and mortar locations in the state. This is a fantastic way to get a realistic look at what you can and can’t get from each option.
Today, we’re going to compare Las Atlantis and Resorts World Casino in New York City.
Games Available at Each Location
|Game||Las Atlantis||Resorts World|
|Let Em Ride||Yes||No|
|Pai Gow Poker||Yes||No|
|Three Card Poker||Yes||Yes|
|Three Card Rummy||Yes||No|
|Ultimate Texas Hold ‘Em||No||Yes|
Key Similarities & Differences Between Las Atlantis & Resorts World Casino
- Table limits at Resorts World start at $5 per hand ($10 for baccarat); Table limits at Las Atlantis start as low as $0.01 per hand for all games.
- Slot table limits are the same at both locations, starting at $0.01.
- Las Atlantis online casino is open 24/7/365; Resorts World is open every day from 8 AM to 10 PM.
- Both locations have a VIP players reward club where you earn points for your play. However, Resorts World doesn’t have the same lucrative deposit-style bonuses for new players as you see at Las Atlantis. New players looking into taking advantage of New York casino games online at Las Atlantis can get up to a 280% bonus up to $14,000!
- Both options have an immense selection of real money slot games. The one perk if you choose to play slots online in New York, though, is there’s no risk of all the seats being taken. Resorts World sees over 10 million guests annually, so you can expect things to be busy, especially on peak nights.
Blacklisted NY Online Casinos to Avoid
Unfortunately, not all online casinos accepting players from New York are on the up and up. (The same goes for real money iPhone and Android casino apps.)
Just like in any business, you’ve got places you want to avoid at all costs. While our full list of blacklisted casinos has more casinos than this, here are a few of the more popular options and repeat offenders to watch out for.
|99 Slot Machines||General shadiness across the board|
|707 Casino||Payout issues|
|Lake Palace Casino||Payout issues|
|Magic Box Casino||Misleading bonuses|
|Maximums Casino||Payout Issues|
|Play Million||Claims of rigged games|
|Winner Casino||Misleading bonuses|
NY casino gambling online can’t be enjoyable when you’re playing at a site you can’t trust. This is why our team is so dedicated to delivering you only the best and most trusted options.
Other Forms of Online Gambling in New York
A guide talking about real money gambling in New York wouldn’t be complete without touching on the lottery. NY ranks as the top state for sales of lottery tickets—by a lot.
In 2019, the state sold an impressive $10.29 billion in lottery tickets. This was almost $3 billion more than second-place California that only sold $7.39 billion.
|Rank||State||Lottery Sales in Billions of Dollars|
New York casinos online are great when you want to take a run at the house. But what about if you want to try your hand at a game like Texas Hold’em, Omaha, or any of the other classic forms of real money poker?
Well, since you can’t play at any brick and mortar establishments in the state, your options are limited to the digital felt. Luckily, these are exceptional options that come with a lot of incredible perks.
If you’re ready to dive right into the action, check out our list of the best online poker sites servicing the Empire State.
Currently, sports betting in NY is not legal at brick and mortar casinos.
Luckily, New York online casinos are ready to pick up the slack!
Whether you want to bet on local sports like the Jets, Bills, Knicks, Yankees, Mets, or Giants, you want to bet on sports across the USA, or you want to bet on international contests, the best NY online sportsbooks are open 24/7/365 to take your action. You can also download the top real money New York betting apps and place bets from your phone.
Real Money Casino Gambling in New York By the Numbers
- Two NY Casinos Make Top 10 List of Casinos Worldwide by Gaming Machine Counts
- New York Brings in $2.7 Billion in Gross Gaming Revenue
- NY Ranks 9th in Number of Casino Employees (2018)
Two NY Casinos Make Top 10 List of Casinos Worldwide*
*by Gaming Machine Counts
In a 2019 study of the top casinos in the world by the number of gaming machines, New York made the list twice!
And for those curious which casino notched out the two New York locations, it was WinStar World Casino and Resort in Thackerville, Oklahoma.
Just how many gaming machines does the state of New York have? 35,230. This is the 6th most in the country, as of 2019.
|Rank||State||Number of Machines|
New York Brings in $2.7 Billion in Gross Gaming Revenue
In 2019, the state of New York brought it just over $2.7 billion in gross gaming revenue from all of its brick and mortar casinos. This doesn’t include any data from NY casino apps or NY online casino sites. Compared with the rest of the industry, this was good for a 4th place finish behind Nevada, neighboring New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
|Rank||State||Revenue in Millions|
NY Ranks 9th in Number of Casino Employees (2018)
One of the reasons we expect to see a growth in real money New York online casinos is that the industry as a whole employs a lot of people. With an unregulated market, most of the providers operate from outside of the state.
But we expect the new gaming studied being conducted by the NY Gaming Commission to identify that this could also be a source of employment for the state.
In a 2018 study, New York employed 17,247 employees in the gaming market. If the state were to entice New York online casinos to set up shop in the state, that number could skyrocket.
|Rank||State||Number of Employees|