Betting on greyhound track racing has long been a favorite pastime of American sports fans. With the meteoric rise of online sports betting over the last decade, dog race betting sites have seen a massive influx of players as well as exciting new ways to place bets. Whether you’re an experienced fan looking for a new site to make wagers or a beginner just starting to look into real money greyhound betting sites, we’ve got you covered for all your online sportsbook needs.
Best Websites for Betting on Greyhound Racing Online
|50% up to $250|
|50% up to $1,000|
|50% up to $1,000|
|50% up to $1,000|
|50% up to $1,000|
When it comes to the world of sports betting online, there are endless possibilities as well as countless traps and scams. The most critical step of getting started with betting on greyhound racing is to select the right site to place your bets.
Choosing the right greyhound betting site will ensure both a seamless and much more secure experience. Above are our top picks for the best places to place wagers along with the criteria we look for in a quality betting site. Each of these options will provide you with the best possible experience.
What Makes a Good Greyhound Betting Site?
The most important part of choosing among the various online greyhound betting sites is legitimacy. Making sure you’re betting with a secure and legitimate real money betting sites provides multiple advantages.
Peace of Mind
You can trust your money is safe with reputable greyhound betting sites, and in the case of US players, this means choosing real money betting sites that are regulated by the US or approved by reputable licensing jurisdictions. These trustworthy greyhound betting sites should have an active registration with a well-known gaming association.
A key consideration should always be the odds offered by the greyhound betting website where you’re placing your bets. The better the odds, the more you’ll make, so picking a site with favorable odds will maximize the payout when you choose the winning dog.
When you can’t go to the greyhound track while races are happening, the next best thing is watching them live. Your greyhound betting site should offer free live streams of all the races so you can follow along with the action and watch your greyhound race bets play out.
Another good indicator of the quality of a greyhound betting website is the breadth of bets. A good site for betting on dog races should offer the full range of all the typical greyhound bets from simple “win” bets to key wagers.
Relationships With Hosting Tracks
Sanctioned greyhound betting sites have agreements in place to pool online wagers with in-person wagers, meaning all gamblers are paid at full track odds, which is always a benefit.
Bonuses and Promotions
Many online Greyhound betting sites offer various real money promotions to new members. These promotions can include everything from matching bets to cashback on losses when your dogs lose.
Why Bet on Greyhound Races Online?
Like with many sports, greyhound racing will rarely take place near you. The primary advantage of betting online is the ability to place bets without actually being near a track. Because of this, online greyhound betting has surged past in-person betting. This growth has led to an increasing number of sports betting sites offering odds on greyhound racing.
In the US, there are currently 20 open tracks in six different states. But betting is legal in nearly all 50 states. Most people don’t have a racetrack in their home state, let alone their city. For these fans, online betting is the best option, and it’s as easy as using a computer or even your smartphone.
Players also have access to bet real money on virtually all dog races happening around the world. The number of events a fan can bet on has grown exponentially since the advent of online sports betting.
There are other benefits to betting on greyhound races online as well. Often, the bonuses paid by online sites are significantly higher than those paid by tracks. Think about it. Players at a real racetrack have a captive audience with one game in town, in comparison to massive competition for your bets online. More competition means better deals for gamblers. As a general rule, online betting sites will always offer more incentives.
What Type of Bets Can I Place on Greyhound Races?
Many of the wagers on most greyhound betting sites are similar to those in horse racing. If you’re new to betting on greyhound races online, we’ve outlined a few of the more popular common bets, as well as a few of what are called “exotic” bets. Each of these bets has varying odds with varying payouts.
Common Greyhound Racing Bet Types
- 1. Win – This is the most straightforward bet in where you pick a single dog to win the greyhound race.
- 2. Place – Pick a single dog to place first or second. Odds are better than the “win” bet, so payouts are lower.
- 3. Show – Pick a single dog to place in the top 3. Again, odds are better than win or place bets, so payouts are the lowest of these common bets.
- 4. Across the board – This bet is a combination of the first three. In this case, you place a win, place, and show bet all on a single dog. If that dog wins the race, you collect all three bets, If the dog places second, you collect place and show bets, and if the dog finishes third, you collect only the show bet. This bet enables you to improve your odds while building in some upside if the dog outperforms expectations.
Exotic Greyhound Racing Bet Types
- 1. Quinella – Pick two dogs to win first and second place. The order they finish does not matter as long as they both finish in the top two positions.
- 2. Exacta – This is similar to quinella bet, but finishing order matters. Pick two dogs to win first and second in that specific order. This bet is more difficult bet than quinella but has better payouts.
- 3. Trifecta – Pick three dogs to finish in the top three positions in a specified order.
- 4. Superfecta – Pick four dogs to finish first, second, third, and fourth in a specified order.
- 5. Daily Double – This is a first-place bet for two separate races. Generally, the Daily Double refers to the first two races of that day.
- 6. Pick 3 – Same as “Daily Double” but for three races instead of two. Some tracks also offer options for four races (Pick 4) or six races (Pick 6).
- 7. Jackpots – Depending on the track you are betting, there may be an option for jackpot bets, which usually involves a rolling prize associated with winning a Pick 6. The jackpot will roll over until someone wins a Pick 6 and collects the entire pot. These pots can be massive due to long odds associated with a Pick 6.
- 8. Boxing bets – Boxing is a tactic you can use when you have a good idea of how multiple dogs will perform, but are not confident about the specific place each will finish. These bets can be placed on a quinella, trifecta, or superfecta. For example, you could “box” six dogs on a trifecta bet, and if three of those six dogs finish in the top 3, you win the bet. You can box as many as eight dogs, but the more dogs you box, the more expensive the bet.
- 9. Keying bets – This is similar to boxing a bet, except you pick a single dog (the “key” dog) to finish first.
- 10. Parlay – As with many other sports, parlays are placed across multiple races. Players place bets on multiple races. If the first of those bets is a winner, the winnings roll over to the next bet until all events of the parlay are complete. These offer much longer odds but have the potential for larger payouts.
Tips and Tricks for Betting on Greyhound Races Online
Once you have landed on the greyhound betting site you want to bet on, there are a few essential tips to keep in mind when making your bets. Below are a few things we recommend considering when betting real money on greyhound races. For more info on how to win big with sports betting, check out our guide here.
- Age – Most dogs peak around two years old, while females can peak around three years old. Be wary of dogs well outside this range.
- Value – Look for dogs with good value odds, not just winners. There’s plenty of money to be made on dogs that don’t win first place.
- Track record – Look for dogs that have at least some history of excellent performance. The likelihood that a dog that has never performed well will have a quality race is slim.
- Pay attention to trap – Notice which trap the winners start from. A dog that performed well out of trap one may not perform well out of a different trap in a subsequent race.
- Recent races – We prefer to bet on dogs that have run recently. Often, dogs that have not raced for an extended period may experience setbacks that can hinder their performance.
What Are the Biggest Events in Greyhound Betting?
As regulations continue to change over the years, greyhound races have been harder to come by in the US. As a result, events can be found regularly at the remaining tracks, the most popular of which is Derby Lane in St. Petersburg, FL. Outside of the US, there are still plenty of large-scale events to place bets on around the world. All our recommended greyhound betting sites will offer odds on all these events and many more.
The Future of Greyhound Racing in the US
In recent years, there has been a push in US legislation to ban greyhound racing. Florida has been the main battleground for the fight for regulation, as Florida has 12 of the 20 running dog racing tracks in the United States. The most impactful change for the sport came in November of 2018 with the passing of Florida Amendment 13, The Ban on Wagering on Dog Races Amendment, passing with nearly 70% of the vote.
The amendment called for the end of all dog betting by 2021 and has already had a dramatic effect on both tracks and breeders. Many racetracks have already closed or are planning to close in 2020, pushing further betting online for money. That has led to growth in the number of real money greyhound betting sites as many players are looking for a new place to bet and no longer have a local track.
In July of 2019, a group of advocates for the sport sued to overturn the results of the 2018 election, challenging that the amendment was unconstitutional. The suit is scheduled for trial in June of 2020, and the outcome will dramatically alter the landscape of greyhound betting sites since Florida is home to the majority of the active tracks.
FAQ About Real Money Greyhound Racing Online
Is Greyhound Racing Still Legal in the United States?Yes. While only a few states have an active track, it is still legal to bet on greyhound racing in nearly all of the 50 states.
Can I Bet on Greyhound Races Online?Yes. Many online betting sites will offer odds on greyhound races, and we have compiled an easy reference guide to help you choose one. See above for our top picks for the best greyhound betting sites.
What’s the Best Way to Bet on Greyhound Races?The fastest, easiest, and most convenient way to bet on greyhound racing is to sign up for a greyhound betting site and place bets online. By betting online, you will have access to far more races, better odds, and a variety of player bonuses. Plus, with the best greyhound betting sites having free live streams of the races, you won’t miss out on a single second of the action.
How Much Can I Win Betting on Greyhound Racing?How much you can make betting on greyhound racing depends on the bets you place and how much you are willing to risk. In many cases, you can bet as little as $1 or $2 and double your money, but other bets can pay much more. For example, the record at Wentworth Park in Australia for a Pick 6 was AU$122,000.
Conclusion on Greyhound Race Betting
Wagering on greyhound races online is a fun and unique type of gambling. Similar to horse betting, you have a variety of options when it comes to bets you can place. With everything from simple bets on which dog will take first place to complex parlays across a range of races, dog betting has something for every level of fan.
As online greyhound betting continues to change, we will continue to provide you with the most up-to-date information on where and how to bet. Hopefully, we have helped you learn how to bet on greyhound races online by getting you up to speed on the basics as well as giving you some tips to get you started. You are now ready to start placing your first bets and, as with all real money sports betting sites, have fun but be responsible. Good luck!